Total beginner!! With a daft question!

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
Alirosie

Total beginner!! With a daft question!

Postby Alirosie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:25 pm

I can cast on, knit, purl but not much more. I have knitted a scarf and some beginner bits but have been given a book for Xmas with knitting and crochet tea cosies. I have just started a tea cosie (it's knitted in dk) and the first line says using M double cast on 24 stitches. I am already stumped!! Does she mean cast on 24 stitches in my main colour but with the yarn doubled?? When I knit the first row will I have to knit one stitch through both threads??? Sorry for the daft question but I am lost here :help:

darknit

Re: Total beginner!! With a daft question!

Postby darknit » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi Alirosie and welcome

You are right about using the wool doubled. Either use two balls of wool at once or find the beginning of one ball and knit it with the end on the outside of the ball (can be difficult to find the beginning inside the ball - best use two balls)

This tea cosy is going to be thick and quick to knit. Wrap both strands of wool round the needle and treat them as one strand.

Hope that helps

Kate

Alirosie

Postby Alirosie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you so much for the helpful response and the advice about two balls of yarn!! It's going to look like a slice of battenburg cake according to the pic so I can't wait :love1:

Knit-wit

Postby Knit-wit » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Good Luck with the Tea Cosy, everyone on here is very helpful and what seems like a 'daft' question to you won't sound daft to others, it is better to ask before you get in a mess than leave it too late and give up.

Return to “Technique Questions”