Rib stitch help!

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
Vickstick74

Rib stitch help!

Postby Vickstick74 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Good evening all,
I need some help with a vintage pattern that I'm working on. I haven't knitted for a long time so I'm struggling a little. The pattern is mostly in a k1, p1 rib stitch, and at the present point in the pattern, it's stating an increase in the pattern - 1st at the beginning and end of the row. My rib rows begin with knit and end with purl. Here's when I get confused. When I begin the next row (which doesn't require any increase) it looks like the rib is reversed. How do I keep it the same? Do I need to reverse and start with purl and end with knit? Help!
TIA xxx

darknit

Re: Rib stitch help!

Postby darknit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Vickstick

You don't usually need to worry too much about the edge stitch as this is the seam stitch and will be hidden when you sew it up (assuming this is the case?) You just need to make sure that after that increased edge stitch, the rest of the knit 1 purl 1 matches up. Keep checking the right side to make sure that's happening - you soon won't have to as it will come naturally!

Edited to add: you will have to start and finish your rows differently after each increase to account for that extra stitch. I do hope this makes sense!

Vickstick74

Re: Rib stitch help!

Postby Vickstick74 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 pm

That's fantastic. Thank you x

Return to “Technique Questions”