Sewing sleeves to body?

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
Knit-wit

Sewing sleeves to body?

Postby Knit-wit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:49 am

What is the best way to attach sleeves to the body? This is one of those drop shoulder designs in Chunky and there seems to be quite a lot of 'give' to ease in. Any help appreciated.

Margaret.

darknit

Re: Sewing sleeves to body?

Postby darknit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:31 pm

With a lot of "ease" to fit in I think I would use back stitch. I would use a lot of pins to hold it first though.

Knit-wit

Postby Knit-wit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Thank you very much, I've got it all pinned but couldn't work out which stitch would be the best, it's quite a loose knit so thinking about it doing 'over and over' would probably leave holes, hopefully backstitch will hold it all a bit closer.

Margaret.

Knit-wit

Postby Knit-wit » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am

Thank you darknit, after an enforced break with 'flu I finally managed to sew on the second sleeve yesterday, sewing isn't my strong point so I'm not ever so happy with the result but I think that it will be ok when everything else is finished and the ends sewn in, backstitch was certainly the answer.

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Glad it worked - and commiserations on the flu, such a lot of illness about this winter.

Return to “Technique Questions”