Knit & Stitch

What mags are must haves? Have you been inspired by a particular article? Post your rants and raves about magazines here.
maisie

Re: Knit & Stitch

Postby maisie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

My local Smiths either didn't order many or sold out in the first 3 days. I was going to get issue one just for the wool.

I have got books in the past and really like some of the patterns but the wool they use is always out of my price range. In fact I haven't really knitted much from books. I get tempted so easily too and have bought far too many magazines on avariety of subjects including knitting.... :oops:

runetracey

Postby runetracey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 pm

I got it, but wasnt impressed

Billie

Postby Billie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Too expensive for a long term thing but I'm made up with the first two as for the first time I tried crochet and am partway through making my very first double crochet square :) It was worth it for me as I wanted to try crochet just to see if I could do it. Time will tell if RSI will play along or kick off at this so didn't want to spend a fortune to find out.

SOmeone had the great idea on Rav of using Vet wrap over metal needles to give them more 'girth' and softer/warmer on creaky hands. So I'm going to look out for some and see if that works.
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

Jen

Postby Jen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Hello, I got the first 2 issues after seeing the ads for it but I'm quite dissapointed with the yarn- I thought that as it was a proper brand (as apposed to the unbranded ones given away with the crochet partwork) it would be wothwhile even just getting the first few but it's quite rough- compared to stylecraft and the king cole big value chunky that I'm using at the moment.

milly39 wrote:I bought the first issue, I love knitting blankets and I like the one featured on the cover. I couldn't wait for all the issues though and it would cost a fortune but it inspired me to invest in a book, 200 knitted blocks by Jan Eaton. Ordered on Amazon last week but I didn't notice the estimated delivery dates were Saturday 19 Jan 2013 - Saturday 9 Feb 2013 so I'm still waiting :(

I've got the 200 crochet blocks book milly which is really good so the knitted one will be worth waiting for!

Billie

Postby Billie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 pm

[quote="Jen"]Hello, I got the first 2 issues after seeing the ads for it but I'm quite dissapointed with the yarn- I thought that as it was a proper brand (as apposed to the unbranded ones given away with the crochet partwork) it would be wothwhile even just getting the first few but it's quite rough- compared to stylecraft and the king cole big value chunky that I'm using at the moment.

[quote]

Agree about the yarn. Has anyone used stylecraft yarn for granny squares? Does it hold up ok? I made some bed socks out of it and they have gone a bit baggy.
Billie's Craft Room

Jen

Postby Jen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 am

Billie wrote:
Jen wrote:Hello, I got the first 2 issues after seeing the ads for it but I'm quite dissapointed with the yarn- I thought that as it was a proper brand (as apposed to the unbranded ones given away with the crochet partwork) it would be wothwhile even just getting the first few but it's quite rough- compared to stylecraft and the king cole big value chunky that I'm using at the moment.

Agree about the yarn. Has anyone used stylecraft yarn for granny squares? Does it hold up ok? I made some bed socks out of it and they have gone a bit baggy.

Yes I made a couple of Lucy's summer garden squares when I was deciding what pattern to use for my Nan's blanket and they came out really well- and a good price too! Were the socks knitted or crocheted?

Billie

Postby Billie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Knitted.

If you love Stylecraft yarn, have a look on the create and craft website they have a bundle deal on 16 balls of Stylecraft yarn in assorted colours. Ideal for granny squares/ little projects. I can add a link if its ok but not sure if thats cool? hmm looks like they have sold out at the mo, keep an eye out in case it comes back they were a nice bundle of colours.
Billie's Craft Room

Swampiesue

Postby Swampiesue » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 pm

I have just searched everywhere, " for the cable jumper" I had fallen in love with, only to find out all along it was a poncho.. :oops: :(

I am going to have a go at making anyway though. I just hope that I can get hold of issue 2 before the next one comes out. We have lots of snow and ice at the moment so are bedding down in the warm for the weekend because the road where we live is far to dangerous..

knittingsue

Postby knittingsue » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I bought the first issue as it was only 99p. The leaflet with it had a list of the yarns to be included in future issues and some of them seemed nice, but I won't be buying future issues at £4.50 each.
Maple Tree Yarns
Quality Natural Fibre Yarns

dollylover

Postby dollylover » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 am

Hubby got me the first one, haven't tried the needles yet, and thought I could always use the yarn as a baby hat border.
Took bags of wool to charity shops, Now I only have what I'm using. :)

Return to “Knitting Magazines”