Why did I subscribe?

What mags are must haves? Have you been inspired by a particular article? Post your rants and raves about magazines here.
TonyH

Why did I subscribe?

Postby TonyH » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:53 pm

The only reason I subscribed to Simply Knitting was the price. Worked out (after going through a cash back site) at £13.95 for 12 issues. Patterns are ok, but not the kind of thing I do. I like the letters but would like more. Free(?) gift ... not so good, to the point of being rubbish mostly. Plenty of competitions though, but then again ... I never win. Would I subscribe again ... probably not.
:cheers: Tony

divadoll_1

Re: Why did I subscribe?

Postby divadoll_1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:46 am

The Knitter....fantastic collection of patterns every month for the experienced knitter. A lot of these I already have with other collections as they always have a Rowan one or two, but the letters are good and the articles are a good read too. Most of all you dont get the incessant tutorials on how to do basic knitting that the other mags seem to do. There is always a project with some new technique that I havent tried and are great at explaining how and the designers are a mixture of the seasoned names and the up and coming.

Knitting Gill

Postby Knitting Gill » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:59 am

Do you get your money back if you unsubscribe, Tony?

I don't subscribe to any magazine because I don't manage to read one in the month before the next one comes. I used to buy a lot of knitting magazines, but not so much now. My sister gave me one for my birthday and that took me months to finish reading.

I do like the Knitter as it has more interesting articles than just a load of patterns and letters, but it's not always available in the shops here.

Just remembering, it was a knitting magazine that got me started on tubular double-knitting, so they are useful occasionally.

Gill

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 am

Hi Gill. This offer was such a good price that the minimum subscription was 12 months. There is no option to cancel until the end of the subscription. :thumbdown: Many mags will offer a three month trial subscription with the option to cancel, but not this time. As I say, I don't think I'll take out another subscription as there are plenty of patterns, tips and advice all over the internet, especially when find a good forum or group such as this one :thumbup2:

Tony

Joy

Postby Joy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:07 am

I admit to looking at the deals offered with subscriptions and occasionally they are very very tempting, but my prudent self now says "don't resent paying for what you really want you'll save an awful lot of money in the long run if you stop impulse buying" of course I always abide by my own good advice which is why I have a stash mountain and magazine doorstops.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Best subscription I have taken out, was for a crafting mag called Mollie Makes. It was a one year subscription and the 'enticer' was a John Lewis mini sewing machine. The advert said it was worth £89, and when I checked out the details on a couple of websites, the value was more or less what the advert valued it at. Turns out it is a Janome beginners machine. Well pleased :thumbup2:

Knitting Gill

Postby Knitting Gill » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Glad you were well pleased with that one.

Gillian

Return to “Knitting Magazines”