Hot water bottle covers: Free customizable pattern

Have you got any great patterns for Christmas presents? Quick Mother's Day gifts or birthday treats? Or are you looking for inspiration?
Billie

Hot water bottle covers: Free customizable pattern

Postby Billie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi All

I made an impulse buy of a Little Knitting company kit for a hot water bottle cover {still waiting for it to arrive} for MIL for Mothers Day as she gave me a set of knitting needles for Christmas. Then had a look on Rav and found this pattern:
All You Need A classic

Don't be fooled by its plain appearence, this is a great pattern as it explains how to modify the pattern for bottles of different sizes. Once you get the idea you could modify it to add your favorite detailing and stitch patterns. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm hoping the kit I ordered from C&C will arrive soon and I'm not a quick knitter, if the concept goes down well I'll have a play with this pattern tho as it has a lot of potential to 'make it your own' with different stitch patterns.

So if you want to make a dent in your yarn stash, how about jazzing up your winter warmer with its own jumper. Plain bottles aren't too expensive in places like Boots etc.

Have fun

Billie :)
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

Woolygreyhound

Re: Hot water bottle covers: Free customizable pattern

Postby Woolygreyhound » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Nice pattern, I have this in my favs

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Eskimim ... ttle-cover
Knit - 16,596m 2012
start of 2013 41,980m in stash

Billie

Postby Billie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm still a newbie so will follow what pattern says for now but I like to customise things with other stitch patterns once I get the hang of things.

I was wondering about making one of these covers without the neck section for my wheat bag but that goes in the microwave. Wonder what yarn I could use that would be ok in the microwave???
Billie's Craft Room

Flowerfairy

Postby Flowerfairy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Presumably any wool yarn would be OK, Billie, I'm not sure about acrylic in case it melts? Thanks for the link, I've saved it for future reference!
I blog at http://www.winwickmum.co.uk and have created the Sockalong, a series of tutorials to teach beginners how to knit socks

Billie

Postby Billie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Flowerfairy wrote:Presumably any wool yarn would be OK, Billie, I'm not sure about acrylic in case it melts? Thanks for the link, I've saved it for future reference!

Thanks Flower fairy, I was thinking the same about acrylic but worried that wool wouldn't like the heat/humidity and maybe shrink? or worse smell like damp sheep ;) Do you think allcotton yarn would be safe?
Billie's Craft Room

Flowerfairy

Postby Flowerfairy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 am

Well, I'm only going from what I know of my daughters' microwaveable hot water teddies and I presume they're made from synthetic fur (which suggests that maybe acrylic is OK after all) and the worst that happens to them is that they smell of porridge. I'm not sure if that's what's in them or because my husband makes porridge in the microwave, but we can't seem to shift that oaty smell!

My hot water bottle cover is made from oddments of Rowan DK and I'm sure that was 100% wool. It doesn't smell like damp sheep but then again, maybe it makes a difference with it not being in the microwave.

All I can suggest really is either do a search on Rav and see if someone else has done something similar or just try it. You're such a quick knitter it probably wouldn't take you much time to whizz something up!
I blog at http://www.winwickmum.co.uk and have created the Sockalong, a series of tutorials to teach beginners how to knit socks

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks for that link I have added it to my queue, I was trying to make a cover for achristmas present but it got frogged, I'd added a Fairisle snowflake but not left enough give in the floats for it to stretch over the bottle.

I was thinking about the wheat bag cozy idea. My wheat always seems to create quite a lot of steamy moisture when I heat it up. Could you.... Heat up the bag in a cotton liners assume it is made out of, then slide it into a knitted cosy to use once it's heated up.

Billie

Postby Billie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi Joy

WHeat bags are ever so easy to make. I found a tutorial for How to make a rice therapy bag on Sew Mamma Sew. I filled mine with rice or buckwheat. Lentals work ok too. The cover I made at the time was from a scrap of curtain material and its been working fine as it was only a little handwarmer size.

My tip for getting them to stay hotter for longer if you are making the bigger ones is to partition the bag a few times and don't be too mean when you fill the inner bag. A friend of mine uses Cherry stones to fill hers. You can buy the stones all cleaned and ready to go online. I found a cherry stone neck pillow in a shop just last week but it was everso heavy. I have issues with my neck and was on the look out for something of this kind but unscented and most of the ones you see all have lavendar essential oils on them. But it was very heavy and not the sort of thing you would want to sit with because of the weight and if you sat back on it in the chair I think it would dig a bit. Lentals/rice/ buckwheat have all worked nicely though and are small enough not to weigh to much but also to mould to your shape so much more comfortable as an alternative to hot water bottles.

Hope these tutorials help, hugs

Billie

PS My TLKC Hot water bottle kit arrived today. The colour of the yarn is lovely and you get the pattern and some needles in the kit too. Great to gift to someone who knits but I'm knitting the project up for MIL.

The cover that has seen better days is on a much
Billie's Craft Room

Return to “Gift Knits”