Learning to crochet

Crochet related questions
Deakin1815

Re: Learning to crochet

Postby Deakin1815 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:25 am

I'm addicted :lol: so far I've done the centre panel of a throw I intend to finish, its mainly done with the 5 odd balls of Noro Silk Garden (the Aran not the sock weight) and to be honest, although I've knitted with it, I didn't like it at all, I found when I knitted in all the same dye lot that most of the balls had knots and pieces of what looked like wood chippings in them. 4 of the 5 balls had knots, a couple of them had more than 6, and also the textures were totally different from ball to ball, but they were all discontinued shades and I bought them all cheaply and, I've finally used them up from my stash. I only got 3 squares from each ball, one had about 12" of yarn left, the other 4 had enough to get an extra square out of. So to do the throw 11 x 8 squares, I had to make up the 5 x 4 centre with 4 extras. I intend the throw to be mainly the Sirdar Bonus Alpine colour, so I used this colour in the centre of the 4 squares and used different colours for the rest.

The throw so far

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Great colours :smile:

wifey502

Postby wifey502 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:33 pm

I, too, have begun crocheting today. So far, I am making a granny square to sit under my fruitbowl.
I will then start on hexagons with the intention of making a blanket for my Mum.
Knit one, purl one, drop one, SWEAR ALOT!!!!

Billie

Postby Billie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 am

Ohh that's fabulous, congrats. My poor hands haven't recovered yet, grr RSI and crochet were not good friends DOH!!!

Week 3 of little use of hands. Bored much!!!! Pain is reducing a little thanks to the warmer drier weather at last.

Enjoy your crochet, look forward to seeing your projects.

If you can get to the library and they have a copy Jane Crowfoot's Crochet Bible is brill, her explanation of symbols used in patterns is the best I've seen. Not cheap to buy at £25 even from Amazon, but if you want to buy only one book, its good as it has a lot of different crochet styles in.
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

dollylover

Postby dollylover » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:05 pm

:smile: :hug: Deakin that is fabulous, well done.
Took bags of wool to charity shops, Now I only have what I'm using. :)

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 pm

That's so nice :smile:

I've had to give up on the crochet, I managed to finish a blanket but struggled with the last few square because of the arthritis in my middle finger. Its still bad and I'm even struggling to knit now, I can manage on two needles, but at the moment I'm knitting on dpns and struggling.

I would have liked to have done some more squares as I've got plenty of yarn left, but unless I get them done in the future, I've given up for the time being. I'll post a pic when I've got the room sorted and the blanket's on the bed.

Billie

Postby Billie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Deakin1815 wrote:That's so nice :smile:

I've had to give up on the crochet, I managed to finish a blanket but struggled with the last few square because of the arthritis in my middle finger. Its still bad and I'm even struggling to knit now, I can manage on two needles, but at the moment I'm knitting on dpns and struggling.

I would have liked to have done some more squares as I've got plenty of yarn left, but unless I get them done in the future, I've given up for the time being. I'll post a pic when I've got the room sorted and the blanket's on the bed.

I had to give up too, for my 5 days of crochet less than an hour each day I've still not got the use of my hands back. Grr even after a trip to the osteopath they are still locked like hooks. No more crochet for me, haven't been able to knit since either. RSI and crochet NOT good friends. Hope I can knit again one day, can't even hold a pen for more than a minute at the moment. DOH!!!!!!!!!

Love the hanging decorations Echo. Its beautiful.
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

perigeri

Postby perigeri » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Awww Billie and Deakin sorry to hear about your problems with your hands hope you are able to knit or crochet soon I know how painful arthritis can be
Geri

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 pm

ouch your poor hands :cry: I hope they start feeling better soon.

Great start on the throw it's looking good :smile:

Echo that is a lovely hanging I think I might try making something similar in blues and white for my conservatory :smile:

Flowerfairy

Postby Flowerfairy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:33 pm

If anyone's interested, Crochet Camp 2013 is on over at http://www.slugsontherefrigerator.com which is ideal for beginners with patterns and tutorials. There's also a Crochet Camp facebook group which is great - crocheters from all over the world are having conversations about granny squares! I'm not a beginner but I've been enjoying the crochet contact and have actually learnt a couple of things along the way too, so it just goes to show that you can always discover something new!
I blog at http://www.winwickmum.co.uk and have created the Sockalong, a series of tutorials to teach beginners how to knit socks

Return to “Crochet”