Great American Aran Afghan

Is there a pattern that you just cannot do alone? Start a knitalong! Looking for inspiration? Join a knitalong!
pinkshoes

Great American Aran Afghan

Postby pinkshoes » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:08 pm

This was a really important (to me anyway :lol: ) thread that got lost along the way. Maybe the guys who have done more than one square and 3 ridges will jump in with anything they remember as we go along.

Pinkshoes
I have heard of housework, but I definitely don't like the sound of it
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/midhow
http://pinkshoesknits.wordpress.com/

Traxia

Re: Great American Aran Afghan

Postby Traxia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:12 pm

I will try and reassemble the thread from google cache. So far I have page 34 out of 35... but hopefully there's more

- this is the pattern book
The Black Hole of Time :rant:s and :hug:s on demand

Traxia

Postby Traxia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Reconstruction:
Posted by Samantha on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:01 pm
Have you guys seen this? [scroll down a little to see the pic]

(I'm only posting the entries that have information beyond 'I want to do this too' or 'that is cool')

Traxia

Postby Traxia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Reconstruction:
Posted by feltboots on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:01 pm
That's quite beautiful :D

Have never really considered afghans before but funny you post this as I saw another one today that also caught my imagination. On the knitspot blog (scroll down a little), she writes about one her grandma knitted and how as a little girl she used to look at it for hours, puzzling over the different textures and stitches. Apparently that afghan got her interested in knitting. I can imagine the afghan you linked to Samantha might have a similar impact, it's fascinating !

Traxia

Postby Traxia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Reconstruction:
Posted by feltboots on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:55 pm
Having a hunt around, I found a KAL for it here and if you scroll down a little there's a list of places where you can buy the booklet for it on the RHS. It lists KCG Trading and they have it for £9.95. As it's a book, I also checked Amazon UK and they have it for £6.99, and The Book Depository also have it for £8.20 :D

pinkshoes

Postby pinkshoes » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Fantastic! I know you're up to your eyeballs with all this, so no pressure. I managed to rescue one page last night and gave up - I admire your staying power!

Pinkshoes
I have heard of housework, but I definitely don't like the sound of it
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/midhow
http://pinkshoesknits.wordpress.com/

Traxia

Postby Traxia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:45 pm

lol google thinks I'm a bot... oh well I'll try again later, I reckon I can get about 15 of the pages back, not a lot but it will have to do.

Edit: If anyone is interested in how I am doing this, you type the title of the topic into google in quotations, so "great american aran afghan" followed by site:knittingforums.co.uk and it gives you all the pages back with that in it from the old forums. You then click on cache and it should give you an option to go text only. That gives you whatever page of the post you have currently got (note you can't navigate). If you do this too often, google thinks you are a malicious bot and blocks your access :evil:

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 pm

In the meantime before all the tips get added there is a group on Ravelry for those knitting the Great Aran American afghan. I am still hoping to finish this, though its not ben knitted on for a few months now. Think I have done 7 or 8 squares so far.

Traxia

Postby Traxia » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am

Reconstruction:
Posted by ygymraes on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:53 pm
I'm using Cascade 220 at the moment for 2 afghans for Christmas (http://www.getknitted.com/acatalog/Cascade_220.html) and can highly recommend it. It's gorgeous to knit with. :D

They gave me access back :D

Traxia

Postby Traxia » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am

Reconstruction:
Posted by feltboots on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:44 am
twinkle toes wrote: I'm contemplating a cotton based yarn otherwise... hmm... thinking all snuggly thoughts!

I'm pondering a cotton-based one too. Read a long thread on the Knitty forums last night about yarns people will never use again and the Lion Brand Wool-Easeseemed to have the most mentions (alongside anything 100% acrylic). Shame as I was looking at that as a possibility. Maybe their Cotton-Ease is a better bet (50% cotton, 50% acylic) though Banyan Tree Yarns only have 4 colourways to choose from. Another possibilty is one of the Cygnet arans. Not cotton-based but has anyone used these ?

I'm wary of the Cascade 220 and how easily it felts - with 2 cats in the house the afghan will need washing every now and then.

Return to “Knitalongs”