Great American Aran Afghan

Is there a pattern that you just cannot do alone? Start a knitalong! Looking for inspiration? Join a knitalong!
Janice

Re: Great American Aran Afghan

Postby Janice » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 pm

I'm feeling rather tempted by this :lol: So far I have commited to knitting 2 8in Friendship squares and a Nativity character every month, plus I want to finish DH's aran cardigan, and I have several baby things in my queue, do question is how many of these afghan squares could I knit in a month :lol:

mongrel

Postby mongrel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Nevisknitter wrote:You are still ahead of me Mongrel. I plan on finishing it this year as those huge balls are taking up loads of stash space.

Yes! Having all this GAAA yarn under the bed is undermining my arguing position with DH. He doesn't understand why I need other yarn! :lol:

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 am

I got another square finished yesterday, I have decided to write the names of all the squares still to do on pieces of paper, I then pull one out to decide what to do next, it stops the dithering each time.

mongrel

Postby mongrel » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 am

That's a good idea. I made the mistake of starting with the easiest ones, so it's getting more and more daunting as I go on.
You've inspired me to get mine out from under the bed. I think I'll have a go at the mini sweater one. I've got a very busy week coming up & don't know if I'll be able to concentrate so I reckon I could do the plain background to that square while my mind's on other things.

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:41 pm

I have all the easy ones done too. i have done the sweater square, its pretty easy from what I remember. I've pulled out one of the ones that worked in the round next so got to dig out the circs\dpns to find the right size.

mongrel

Postby mongrel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 am

Er, I have a confession to make. I must have told myself "you're half way through" to keep cheerful. When I got the finished squares out last night I realized I've only done 9 not 10.
Anyway, it's nine and a third now! is smug :P

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Are you planning on doing 20 or 24 squares Mongrel. I am going to do all 24, I got 5 x 400g balls for this and am still on the second one so I will think I am 40% done when thats finished, I doubt it will use all 5 balls though.

We will have to have a meet up when both blankets are done to compare them, maybe meet in Oban and have a wee splurge in the yarn shops there.

mongrel

Postby mongrel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm only doing 20. I reckon there are a couple, at least, that are too difficult for me to even contemplate. And besides, we don't need any more cushions.
I'm using three colours. The squares are in two colours alternately, like a chequerboard, then I'll use the 3rd for the edges. Actually I'm not too sure how it'll look. The colours are a bit too similar to eachother.

Yes a meet-up will be a good incentive to keep on with this. How about Oban Chocolate factory, in the summer. Is that a date?

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Sounds ;like a good idea, I dont work Monday or Tuesday, I dont know which day of the week works best for you with ferries.

mongrel

Postby mongrel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:00 pm

I work for myself so I can pretty much award myself a day off whenever it's not a busy time of year. I don't leave the place at all in April (lambing), & there are auctions etc I can't miss but generally I'm flexible.
Now just a little matter of the knitting...! :lol:

Return to “Knitalongs”