Great American Aran Afghan

Is there a pattern that you just cannot do alone? Start a knitalong! Looking for inspiration? Join a knitalong!
Tina

Re: Great American Aran Afghan

Postby Tina » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 am

I am almost tempted to try this as a big project.

I have googled the current prices for the book and see there are in fact two books Great american Aran Afghans, and Great American Afghan......

It seems they are being amalgamated in the Spring as one book? isbn 1933064226

I have some aran weight I crocheted into a shell pattern throw earlier in the year..but it's not very inspiring ..so might undo that...not sure yet. I might just buy fresh wool..then it's what colour (s) and what blend............ :smile:
I love a good yarn.........

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 am

Is anyone still knitting this?

I've just received the pattern from Amazon UK and bought the wool. I got the Sirdar Bonus Aran in Alpine which is sort of between the Cream and Natural. The total wool cost me £41.94 from The Black Sheep warehouse in Culcheth, and I got 6 balls, so gotta get my son down to clear out his old wardrobe for me to be able to store all my wool :D

I can't crochet so at least one of the squares won't be any good for me, and I was wondering about the circular needle ones as I find it difficult knitting with them, but I'll start on a few of the easy ones. I'm looking forward to starting this, but must finish a few other things first :knit:

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm

I've just picked this up again after another 3 month break, knitted 3 more squares this month, I think I have done 15 now out of the 24. I am now halfway through my 5 x 400g balls of aran so the end is in sight. I'm now wondering whether to design a square myself and make it 5 squares wide x 5 squares long.

christina-1

Postby christina-1 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Deakin1815 wrote:Is anyone still knitting this?

I've just received the pattern from Amazon UK and bought the wool. I got the Sirdar Bonus Aran in Alpine which is sort of between the Cream and Natural. The total wool cost me £41.94 from The Black Sheep warehouse in Culcheth, and I got 6 balls, so gotta get my son down to clear out his old wardrobe for me to be able to store all my wool :D

I can't crochet so at least one of the squares won't be any good for me, and I was wondering about the circular needle ones as I find it difficult knitting with them, but I'll start on a few of the easy ones. I'm looking forward to starting this, but must finish a few other things first :knit:

Is the pattern from Amazon UK in longhand or chart please? I would love to do this when I've finished all my lace projects which are piling up in my knitting cupboard.

I've just answered the question for myself and ordered the book from Amazon - woohoo, so chuffed. :D

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Mon May 30, 2011 9:44 pm

The patterns are all written in both chart form and longhand

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:12 pm

I've done all the squares from the book now, and am halfway though one I designed myself, I'm making a 5x5 square throw. Still got to sew it all together and knit the edging though. Hopefully it will be finished by the end of September.

kaz

Postby kaz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 pm

I know that this thread has been dormant for a while...................I looked into buying the book a couple of years ago and balked at the price of £25........I'm really in the mood to knit it now and the book has rocketed in price !!!!

Does anyone know where I can get a decent copy?
www.overthegate.co.uk
8 pairs of socks for 2011, 6 pairs for 2012, 2 pairs for 2013

darknit

Postby darknit » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Which one? The J Nancy or J Coniglio?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Great-Am ... SwrlRZ1-QO

kaz

Postby kaz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:16 pm

It's the J Coniglio one that I fancy doing :)
www.overthegate.co.uk

kaz

Postby kaz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 pm

I've also searched for the amalgamation of them both - The Great American Afghan Colection but I can't even find that in stock anywhere.
www.overthegate.co.uk

Return to “Knitalongs”