Dyeing with Dylon?

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Jen

Dyeing with Dylon?

Postby Jen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:05 pm

I have got some Dylon to attempt to dye the orange portions of some Rico superba dk wool after frogging my scarf that I've decided I don't like anymore. The colour is burlesque red but looks more a deep purple- how do you think it will turn out on 75% wool?
:knit:

perigeri

Re: Dyeing with Dylon?

Postby perigeri » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi Jen when I worked in a Haeberdashery shop a few years ago we sold Dylon dyes and had to know so we could tell customers , we were told that it will only dye natural fabrics/items . I imagine its similar now .
I Wouldnt like to guess with your wool but at 75% and if you dont mind a different colour you can only try
Geri

ContinentalCat

Postby ContinentalCat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 am

I'm planning on trying the same thing!

Looking at their website, it depends on the type of Dylon; I'm used to the dyes you can use in the machine, for cotton and linnen, but that won't work for wool.

phantomknitter

Postby phantomknitter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I've used the cold dyes (sachet) and it does nothing to wool (instructions say lighter shade). :( The boiling type would surely result in felted wool so I would recommend looking into something that is specifically meant for dyeing wool, rather than other things.

Jen

Postby Jen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Hmm, I'm using a sachet that just uses warm water (cold water dye sachet?) so it doesn't sound too hopefull, I've got a cotton bag that I was going to put in with it so hopefully that will work even if the yarn doesn't :? I will post before and -hopefully- after pics!

Return to “Dyeing”