How to dye a colour phase yarn.

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Minxy
Supporter

How to dye a colour phase yarn.

Postby Minxy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:25 pm

I knitted an owls jumper in Sirdar Peru, a lovely alpaca/wool/acrylic mix. Unfortunately I knitted it mosty in a darkened room and took no notice of the subtle colour differences which look a lot LESS subtle in the light.

I did think it wouldn't bother me but it does and tbh I don't love beige tones anyway, I just got the yarn cheap from Kemps :lol:

Do you think if I used a Dylon pack in a deep green or purple it would blanket dye the wool or would the telltale shade lines show through? Any feedback gratefully recieved!
http://minxymakes.blogspot.com/

phantomknitter

Re: How to dye a colour phase yarn.

Postby phantomknitter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Sorry to be a negative voice here regarding Dylon on wool, but I have not managed to make it dye wool (tried twice IIRC). On the pack I read says it can dye it a lighter shade but I think 'none at all' is closer to the truth. Another thing mentioned in the packs is that it cannot cover blothes such as fading or bleach damage, so again I think it would leave you heading for disappointment. I am not in any way versed in chemical dyeing so I will have to leave it for someone else to say if any 'heavier guns' can be of help to you. I hope you find a way to make your hard work become a garment you'll love wearing.
BLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEFANTOMKNITTERBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUE

Minxy
Supporter

Postby Minxy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for the tip PK! I bought an acid dye instead from FabDye AGES ago, but I've only just got hold of a pot big enough to use :lol:

Has anyone used one of these acid dyes before? It recommends citric acid to fix but I think I'll have to use white vinegar. Any experience of this?

thewoollymother

Postby thewoollymother » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:36 am

Minxy wrote:Thanks for the tip PK! I bought an acid dye instead from FabDye AGES ago, but I've only just got hold of a pot big enough to use :lol:

Has anyone used one of these acid dyes before? It recommends citric acid to fix but I think I'll have to use white vinegar. Any experience of this?

I know its a bit late in the day, but I've just joined the knitting forum and found your post. I am a spinner and use Gaywool and Earth Pallet dyes. Ashford have a good range of wool dyes too, and they would be obtainable in the UK. Haven't tried their's yet but I intend to. Dylon have not changed - they didnt dye properly 30 years ago, and still dont.

These dyes are very easy to use. Just add what you want to the pot, dissolve it and add your pre-wet wool. Or you can paint your wool, roll it up in Gladwrap and either cook it in the microwave, or steam it over a boiler to set the colour if you dont have a big enough pot. I recommend you paint enough in one to go to complete a garment as its nearly impossible to obain exactly the same shade twice. You can 'pre-mordent' the wool or add white vinegar. Maybe sift around some of the spinning/dying sites or YouTube to show you how its done. Its lots of fun.

Minxy
Supporter

Postby Minxy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks WM! I just went for this with the Fabdye I had and, although I suspect it would make expert dyers cringe, I was fairly pleased with the result. I don't think the process is for me though; I found it so messy and managed to dye my dresser in the process. :roll: :lol:

It's not at all uniform and there's patches of browny showing through, but it did disguise the botched colour phase and I like the overall effect.

phantomknitter

Postby phantomknitter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Minxy that looks wonderful! And you look rightfully chuffed with it! ;) Wear it with pride. :D
BLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEFANTOMKNITTERBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUE

Flowerfairy

Postby Flowerfairy » Sun May 08, 2011 4:20 pm

It looks fab, Minxy, and I love the owls' eyes!
I blog at http://www.winwickmum.co.uk and have created the Sockalong, a series of tutorials to teach beginners how to knit socks

Jow

Postby Jow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:55 am

That looks really great! That pattern is so great, it was definitely worth making it wearable :smile:
jowgoat on Rav

Return to “Dyeing”