I need advice

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
dollylover

I need advice

Postby dollylover » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:54 am

need advice, I have this fits all size multicoloured dress, a lot of dye came out when washing by hand. so i put a ball of normal white LYS wool/acrylic soaking in the watered dye. will it take, and do I need anything to lock in the colour. it's gone pink. ;)
Took bags of wool to charity shops, Now I only have what I'm using. :)

Woolygreyhound

Re: I need advice

Postby Woolygreyhound » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Dolly

If the yarn has wool, then it needs an acid dye bath and heat to set the dye. If you put in a saucepan and with a good slug of white vinegar and heat gently until simmering for about 30 minutes.Try not to aggitate too much gently stir.
Or you can microwave,even put it in a steamer over a pan of boiling water but I prefer boiling method, you get a better even result.

The higher the wool content the stronger the dye will take. I usually dye sock yarn which is 70 or 80% wool andd 30 or 20% nylon.
Knit - 16,596m 2012
start of 2013 41,980m in stash

dollylover

Postby dollylover » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:32 pm

:smile: Thank you, its in the saucepan now. :smile:

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:34 pm

If its in a ball you may find the outside of the ball has absorbed the dye while the inside hasnt so as you knit it it will fade from pink to white.
Usually you need to put yarn in a hank to dye it to ensure all parts get dyed.

dollylover

Postby dollylover » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:34 pm

a little of the very center is still white, but the rest is a lovely pink and smells srongly of vinegar. I crochet with it and then wash it with a nice smelling conditioner. it's still drying at the mo though.
Thank you ladies so much for all your help. I'll definitely be doing this again. I'll get a pan specially for it.

are you suppose to dilute the vinigar or is it supposed to be neat. :?: mine was mostly neat with just a little water.

Return to “Dyeing”