Learning to spin

Drop spindle or wheel spinning? Show off your talent here.
Joy

Learning to spin

Postby Joy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 am

And today's project is.....
To learn to spin on my brand new drop spindle..... Wish me luck. I've been browsing a few YouTube videos this morning but funnily enough they all seem to be saying similar things. I guess should just stop being so petrified of the thing and have a go.

I fell for a beautiful wooden spindle at fibre east. It was quite pricey and now I am thinking maybe I should have bought something cheaper to learn on cause I don't want to spoil this very attractive one.

Spindle by cjoy132, on Flickr

DarkestKnits
Supporter

Re: Learning to spin

Postby DarkestKnits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:01 am

That is a lovely spindle Joy...good luck!

Your wool roving (is that right?) is a pretty shade of pink too - it looks like candy floss!

Blackdog

Postby Blackdog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Ooh that is a pretty one - did you buy it from Turned on the Cut in one of the marquees? I was eyeing them up, but I've got enough spindles at the moment to keep me going.....

My suggestion is to get in touch with a Guild of Spinners if you've got one near enough. I'm sure they'll have someone who could help you out.Shame we don't live nearer to each other or I'd get you started off.
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 pm

We have fram (framlingham) spinners that meet about 10 miles away, it was them that organised the coach to FE and it was one if their members who was egging me on to start spinning so I shall go and harass her if it doesn't fall naturally into place.
Yes my spindle was from turned on the cut, but you can guess what we spent a lot of time talking about! I love the fact that there is a whole community of narrowboating yarnies.

Someone asked me today if I was going to the knitting and stitching show.....after the joy of FE no way, that would be like going to Asda instead of the local organic farm shop.

I've joined the uk spinners on Ravelry.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:20 pm

That's lovely Joy. Welcome back :hug:

divadoll_1

Postby divadoll_1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:22 am

ooo good luck. I just couldnt get the hang on hand spinning as I just didnt have the knack with the wrist! I was lucky enough to find a lady relocating to New Zealand not prepared to take her spinning wheel back with her, so she offered it on Freecycle!!! It changed my life as spinning is sooo relaxing :w00t: I havent actully got round to knitting much of my own hand spun as I still have a ridiculous amount of yarn in my stash, but now my stash includes some alpaca and sheep fleeces for spinning too, so be prepared to extend your craft storage!

Joy

Postby Joy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm spinning on a wheel now, and yes it is very relaxing. I have a ashford Joy ( how could I not buy a wheel called joy :) )it folds up small into a backpack so I can take it on my boat travels. I am having dedicated yarn storage space allocated to me. I've made hats and cowls but i still haven't completed enough yarn to knit a sweater - I keep seeing all this beautifully coloured fleece and only buy 100g which doesn't go very far when you can only make a do weight yarn. Note to self, practice more....

Return to “Spinning”