New spinner

Drop spindle or wheel spinning? Show off your talent here.
Alison h

New spinner

Postby Alison h » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:14 pm

I ordered my beginneres spindle kit from ForestFibres on Friday after work; it was waiting for me when I got home yesterday, High whorl spindle + 200g roving in 5 pastel shades.

I watched 2 clips on You Tube and gave it a go. Hmmm - this will obviously take some practice; I managed to get some rather interesting yarn as thin as sewing thread in some places, and thick and fluffy in others.

I will persist, though; on the instruction leaflet it says to contact ForestFibres if any help is needed - a nice touch.

if anyone has any advice for a novice spinner, I'd love to hear it.
Still not sure what I want to be when I grow up

Claire

Re: New spinner

Postby Claire » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Welcome to your new obsession Alison! I'm a fairly new spinner too. I think the main thing that helped me was to "park and draft" at first - it makes the whole thing a bit slower when you're starting and it's a bit less like trying to rub your stomach and pat your head. Coordination not being one of my strong points - you may be different of course! I will only get myself in a linguistic knot if I try to explain so I'll refer you to google/youtube for that one. Also, if you can get to any kind of demo day and get people to show you in practice, that's a big help. Otherwise, enjoy it! BTW there are a few spinning groups on Rav including beginners groups, so that's another resource that may be helpful :smile:
"Time flies like an arrow; but fruit flies like bananas"
I'm LittleRedDragon on Ravelry

Alison h

Postby Alison h » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks for this Claaire - one of the clips I watched on you tube did feature the 'park and draft' method. I tried to follow the OTHER clip that I watched, but will try to park and draft next time.

I can see how spinning could get to be addictive; I've been looking at the dyed wool tops on the World of Wools website - some gorgeous colours.

Vonnie

Postby Vonnie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Oh how exctiting.
I can think of nothing more rewarding than spinning your own yarn and then knitting with it.
VONNIE

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Try swapping over hands if you find it really awkward, I was having real problems spinning, I was spinning the spindle with my right hand and drafting with the left hand, swapped over and it worked like a dream.

I also did the park and draft method when learning, used to sit down, get loads of twist in the yarn then grip the spindle between my knees while dratfing. When drafting pinch the yarn, draft an inch or two above where you have pinched then slide your finger up, then you can see hao the twist travels up the yarn

Blackdog

Postby Blackdog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 pm

I was teaching someone last weekend how to park & draft spin & it suddenly clicked with her. I agree with Nevisknitter that you should try both hands, I use my right hand to draft on my wheel but find that I use my left hand to draft for spindling, go figure that one out :lol:

I'd also suggest spinning on carpet to avoid damaging your spindle when you drop it, we all do it especially when we're learning.
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

Alison h

Postby Alison h » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks for the tips. I have managed to spin two small wobbly slubby balls, but what a sense of achievement. Tonight I will ply them. It was thrill when I first saw the twist run up the threas, and suddenly I knew what was supposed to happen.

I am using the park and draft method., and I found the following helpful for a really detailed description.

http://www.handspinning.com/lollipops/spininst.htm

Now I've got the very basics I'll go back and look at some video clips for tips on how to do it better.

Blackdog

Postby Blackdog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:30 am

Glad to hear that you're getting on with the spindle. Have you thought about going along to your nearest guild, there's one in Birmingham.

Someone is usually only to happy to help you along & give you tips & encouragement & you'll find yourself in the company of other like minded people.
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

thewoollymother

Postby thewoollymother » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:25 am

Alison h wrote:Thanks for the tips. I have managed to spin two small wobbly slubby balls, but what a sense of achievement. Tonight I will ply them. It was thrill when I first saw the twist run up the threas, and suddenly I knew what was supposed to happen.

There will be spinning groups around if you get on the net and have a look. Or contact the guild as suggested they will usually know of smaller local groups. Guilds are good as they are the 'mother' of the smaller groups. Most spinning groups include weavers as well, so may be listed under that too.

Have fun.

Silva

Postby Silva » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:00 pm

I use the park and draft method too. With the synthetic fibre I find it much easier to draft off quite a bit of fibre between each spin as it gives a more consistent thickness of yarn.
Let's go fly a kite.....

Return to “Spinning”