drops love you 4 yarn.

Are you searching for that perfect yarn? Let us help
sweetpea

drops love you 4 yarn.

Postby sweetpea » Tue May 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Has anyone ever used Drop Love you 4 yarn? My problem is that usally I don't wear wool as it itchs me, and im wondering if this yarn will do the same it has got wool in it but not 100% it's got 5%Linen,40%wool and 55%Alpaca :?: The pattern says to use Cashmerino aran wool and ive seen the prices :shock: so that is not an option. My pattern should be here this week so I want to get some yarn. I have put this question on another Topic so if you have read it before then im sorry :oops:.

Dominey

Re: drops love you 4 yarn.

Postby Dominey » Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 pm

I've not used any but alpaca can also be quite itchy if you're sensitive to wool in my experience. I've found the microfibre in the cashmerino yarns makes them a lot less itchy than some pure wools. You're going to spend a fair bit of time knitting your jumper/cardi/can't remember exactly so that last thing you want is to end up with something you can't wear and/or don't enjoy knitting. If spending more gets you a better end product I'd recommend doing that. Not saying the drops is bad, I've not used any of their yarns.

Drops doesn't specify what the 'wool' is - it could be something lovely and soft or it could be a more rustic yarn. Linen can also be rough to work with but its only 5% so probably not a big deal. I'm currently working on a linen project and its hard on the hands - I'd give up if I hadn't handled the washed swatch in the store, I know that eventually it will be lovely, right now not so much!

Reviews on rav seem largely ok except that it pills http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/ga ... v/comments

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Tue May 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks Dominey for your opinon I just don't know what to do :banghead: :banghead:,either take a chance or see if I can find something else? but what :idea:

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:46 pm

If you can bear to hang on I can send you a snippet of Nepal and Alaska so you can see and feel what textures they are. I haven't used the love yarn, I have heard from others that it is very nice but was created to be a low cost product so hasn't undergone all the processes to make it less pill prone etc ( although some of the top priced yarns still pill)
pm me your address if you want those samples.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Ive been intouch with wool warehouse and they have told me that Love you 4 is itchy so that is off the list :( , they have said that Drops Big Merino is 100% wool but its very soft, so that's another one I could use but it will be good to feel the snippets off Joy then I can make up my mind :D

Joy

Postby Joy » Wed May 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Your snippets are in the post, I also included some of the Debbie bliss cashmerino. I'd certainly have a look at the drops merino, unfortunately I haven't used it myself.
Why don't you buy a few balls and make a scarf. To see how it feels next to your skin. You can always give it away for a Christmas present if it doesn't suit you.

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Its a tough one, yarn to knit with is expensive - certainly when compared with buying a ready made garment. I'm very sensitive to a lot of wools, so I accept that if I want to knit a garment to wear it is going to cost a lot more than a store bought one. I tend to knit shawls as they aren't so easy to buy in a shop anyway, plus they take less yarn than a jumper so I can spend more on each individual skein. There's also the consideration of what yarns are suitable for knitting into a garment and what works better as a smaller, decorative piece. Cotton can be heavy and stretch, silk can stretch - great for blocking a pretty shawl, less good for a saggy stretched out of shape garment. If you want to make a jumper and you can't find a wool in your budget that your skin will tolerate, look at the nicer acrylics and see if they meet your requirements better. I also look at designs that I can wear something underneath as a barrier between skin and itchy yarn. If you find a yarn that you like but is a little expensive make a note of the name and if you're lucky you might find it reduced at the end of the season/when they bring out new colour ranges. I'm currently knitting with some sublime cashmere merino silk aran that I bought on clearance last year.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Wed May 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Thank you very much for doing that Joy, its much appreciated, will let you know what I get in the end, I should have the pattern tomorrow :smile: so I need to get something ;)
Thanks for the advice Dominey, this will be my 3rd garment that I will be knitting im still finding my feet on wool, went to the wool shop today but could not find anything that I liked :cry:. My other half can't believe that I have not found any wool yet :lol: , ive told him that it's not a simple process :lol: and it takes time :D

Helen
Supporter

Postby Helen » Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 pm

The cowl neck sweater I posted in gallery was 20% alpaca and 80% acrylic and it is little bit itchy so I wear a light vest top underneath to reduce amount of contact with body- seem to cope with arms okay.

Good luck choosing

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Thu May 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Well my pattern and yarn samples have both turned up today :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: so all I have to do now is work out what yarn to get :? Again thank you ladies for your advice and thanks Joy for the samples, the cashmerino Aran is lovely :smile: perhaps one day :smile:

Return to “Yarn Search”