New old bird joining the knitting flock!

Tell us about yourself, where you are from, what you like to do and anything you might like to share as a newcomer to our forum
Forum rules
READ: Forum-Wide Rules.
Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a ban.
TonyH

Re: New old bird joining the knitting flock!

Postby TonyH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:01 am

Genre! I like fantasy novels a lot, but am reading a series on Ancient Rome at the moment. It’s one of those books that takes facts and romanticises it. Favourite film! Has to be Gone With The Wind closely followed The African Queen.
:cheers: Tony

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi Again, I've not been ignoring you Ditzyme, I've been away for a few days and decided to ignore my cyber self. We had the boat built for us and it was completed about 18 months ago, although we moved on just before she was complete. And as for why we chose this way of life? Well it's hard to pin it down to anything specific, but we had a holiday on a narrowboat about 25 years ago and just loved how relaxed we felt. We kind of knew it was how we wanted to live. But we had to wait until children had grown up and left home. We are very very blessed to be in a position of security that we've been able to choose this lifestyle. Now we feel invigorated, and alive and every day is a new adventure.

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 pm

reading a series on Ancient Rome at the moment.

What's the series Tony that sounds like my sort of novel. I've always enjoyed Philipa Gregorys books, factual novels that are well researched.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:33 pm

It's the Emperor Series by Conn Iggulden (http://tinyurl.com/y8lu3be4). I've got three of the series and still looking for book 4 and 5 in all the local charity shops. I rarely pay for a new book when there are so many used books waiting to be re-read.

He has also done a series on Ghengis Khan called the Conqueror Series (http://tinyurl.com/yc3fgoba) which sounds interesting.

I too like the Phillipa Gregory books.
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:35 pm

If you like those authors, try Harry Sidebottom - excellent Roman Empire novels, written by a Professor of Roman studies.

Joy

Postby Joy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks Tony and Darknit. I am a kindle reader, so I'll have a look for those series. Hope you find 4 and 5 Tony,
Apologies for hijacking your thread Ditzyme. Tony, we do have a dedicated book thread if you'd like to share more novel recommendations,

Return to “Introduce yourself”