Scarf pattern query

Having trouble understanding pattern instructions? Post request for help here.
Janek

Scarf pattern query

Postby Janek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi there, I’m now knitting what I thought was a simple scarf ... the pattern goes p2 k2 in the first row which is fine. Second row goes p2, (s1wyf) twice; repeat to last 2 sets, p2. So what do I do twice? I started with p2, and slipped a stitch purl wise twice, and then did P2. Would this be right? On the back of the scarf, the wool is obvious where the slipped stitches are and it doesn’t look right. Can anyone help please? Thank you. Jane :help:

Joy

Re: Scarf pattern query

Postby Joy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Can you give us the patterns name, details .

I think you it's the S1wyf that you do twice, it should make a pretty pattern and once you gett into a rhythm you should be fine.

Janek

Postby Janek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi Joy, I actually don’t know where I’ve got the pattern but I’m working from the photo, and I’ve tried to attach it but it’s too big. Could be an Anne Archy one but the pattern only consists of those 2 rows :) will it look strange to have a different pattern on the back of the scarf as I’ve done the s1yfw twice and there are loops on the back of the scarf from that but as you say it may look okay after I get into a rhythm? Thank you. Jane

Janek

Postby Janek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:45 pm

Just thought though, should I slip the stitch knitwise as I’m doing it purlwise?

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:45 am

If the pattern doesn't specify knit or purl wise I'd opt for way that feels right. And be consistent. Without trying it out I'd probably opt for knit wise.

Why don't you do a swatch, cast on 8 stitches and work about 20 rows, it'll give you a good idea what the overall effect will be, and you could try both options.

Janek

Postby Janek » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:49 am

Thank you! I just tried that and it feels better to do knitwise, and looks okay. I need very simple patterns I think :rofl: :rofl:

Return to “Pattern Queries”