Opinons please

Having trouble understanding pattern instructions? Post request for help here.
sweetpea

Opinons please

Postby sweetpea » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Im not sure im in the right topic but if im not im sure Joy or darknit will move it ;) . Im making this cardigan and I have to do some kind of loop to go round the buttons but the pattern does not say about the loops so i was wondering what would be the best/easiest thing to do?
https://www.lovecrochet.com/sweater-and ... sh-dk-3146

Joy

Re: Opinons please

Postby Joy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Gorgeous cardi, my first thought would be to crochet slip st down the whole of that band and incorporate some chain stitch loops, but I'd also consider that I might need to slip st around all the edges to keep it looking the same.
I'd be very aware that I might have to consider other ways as well.

Is that edge the cast off edge? You could do the casting off until you reach the button then crochet a few chain then continue your casting off. ( you know I'm not a purist, and don't mind mixing techniques)

Have you got as far as knitting the band yet? I'd still be tempted to consider a buttonhole rather than a loop. I think loops can be too loose or are snag hazards.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi Joy,

Ive not done the banding yet, ive blocked it tonight and its upstairs drying out. Yes it is the cast off edge, I did wonder about doing buttonholes as I asked my brother what buttons my Niece would like and he said Rabbits. I'm still hunting to find some. I think that I will do buttonholes :thumbup:

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:41 pm

After looking at the pattern in more detail I think that doing Buttonholes would not look right seeing as the 2 bandings meet, if i did Buttonholes the top bit of the cardigan would then overlap and would not look right if that makes sense.

darknit

Postby darknit » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 am

Not really a crochet-er Sweetpea (granny squares my limit) so can't help you there but I do know that Deramores does some lovely rabbit buttons.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi darknit, I think that ive found a way of doing the loops fingers crossed. I will look on Deramores to see what Rabbit buttons they have, im not too sure what size to go for. Thank you Joy and darknit for your help, what would I do without you :hug: :hug:

Helen
Supporter

Postby Helen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm

gorgeous cardi what are your chosen colours sweetpea?

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:37 pm

This is the wool and colour that im using, im only using this as I found it in a cupboard and there is just enough for the Cardigan. I found out lastnight that the tension is not the same as the pattern :mad: my fault and I have finished it sort of, i finished the front bandings the other night and I was so happy that I had done it all by myself and to my horror it looks like that ive casted off too tight :rant: as the banding is tight and curling into a C shape , so what ive got to do now is in pick the banding and do it all over again, I think I was told once to cast off with the next size up needle which would be a 4mm and of course looser. Glad that you like the pattern :thumbup:
https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/st ... -1127-100g

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Well all systems go, redone the banding and its alot better :) Ive worked out how im going to do the loop so that's another thing sorted :thumbup: . Now finding Rabbit/Bunny buttons is proving a little hard, been to the local shop but nothing there that I like, been to sites online and they are too big or I dont like them :-o what am I like!!. Ive seen some on Ebay that I do like but im not sure about them they are approx 24mm and Shank Back would a Shank Back be ok to use with a loop?

darknit

Postby darknit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Sweetpea

24mm seems a bit big to me - just under an inch in old money. Are you sure you need them that big? It's such a sweet little cardi, wish my granddaughters were small enough to need it! Do you have a basic colour for the buttons to be or would any colour do?

ETA: Have you seen these? https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/rabbit_buttons

Return to “Pattern Queries”