want to buy a swift any recomendations

Ball winders? Stitch Counters? Strange contraptions that look alien but allow you to knit four times as fast? Tell us about them all here.
Joy

want to buy a swift any recomendations

Postby Joy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:25 pm

i'm looking to buy a swift does anyone have any recomendations, i want something that'll fold up so although i followed the link for the homemade one in an earlier post i'd like it to be more ecconomic on space.
thanks

Fluzz

Re: want to buy a swift any recomendations

Postby Fluzz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:38 pm

My PIL bought me a Sunflower Swift for Christmas, it is absolutely fab and folds up neatly. I keep it on a book shelf when not in use. The only things I don't like are:
1. No table clamp so it slides on our glass-topped table
2. The adjustable pegs are a bit short for some skeins but I do get cheapo 300g skeins of DK, for 100g laceweight or DK or such they're fine.
This is their site: http://sunflowerswifts.blogspot.com/

Texere do a swift, it's the umbrella style and a friend bought that, she's happy with it. I don't like the look of those but they do come with a neat box and a table clamp.

ETA: I have just e-mailed the person at Sunflower, your post reminded me, about clamps and longer pegs and shall report back when they reply.
My knitting blog / Me on Ravelry
Pet to human ratio in our house: 6:1

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:42 pm

thanks that certainly looks a lovely swift to use. i was hoping to spend less but actually i believe one of the pleasures of knitting is using beautifully crafted products and i would be willing to wait a bit longer to save up.

knittingfairy

Postby knittingfairy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am

Scottish Fibres http://www.scottishfibres.co.uk/index.html
also sell them. Prices start at £32.50
I knit, therefore I am

Fluzz

Postby Fluzz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Oooh yes, got a reply:

Thank you for your email suggestions. We have no plans at the moment to change the base of our swifts. We do, however, make sets of longer pegs for the swifts. They are 6" long in total and can accomodate bigger skeins of yarn and handspun yarns too.

They cost £6 for a set of 5 including postage in the UK. We use Paypal for payment and, if you would like to order a set, our Paypal email address is: Moorec648@aol.com

Best wishes, Claire Moore

www.sunflowerswifts.blogspot.com

Useful to know :)
My knitting blog / Me on Ravelry
Pet to human ratio in our house: 6:1

Return to “Knitting Gadgets”