Cone winder v ball winder

Ball winders? Stitch Counters? Strange contraptions that look alien but allow you to knit four times as fast? Tell us about them all here.
Helenhfj
Supporter

Cone winder v ball winder

Postby Helenhfj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Mum let the cat out of the bag that my brother has bought me a wool winder for Xmas ... however, it is a Knitmaster cone winder, not a ball winder. I've had a sneaky look at it and it seems there is a bobbin that sits on the winder and when you've done your winding, you leave the wool on the bobbin and use it from the outside. There are a couple of issues with this; one, I prefer a yarn 'cake' and to use the yarn from the centre and two, you only get one bobbin with the thing, so can presumably only wind one ball at a time :( In fact, it seems to be missing the removable bobbin anyway so I'm not sure I'd even be able to use it!!!

Does anyone have this kind of winder and if so can you tell me if it's possible to remove the yarn from the bobbin without it collapsing and use it from the centre? The winder has a separate sort of roller thing that sits against the bobbin and it has little nodules on it which are almost like little teeth; I'm also concerned that this would pull and ruin delicate yarn like silks or cashmere.

Don't want to appear ungrateful, but I'd rather he got his money back than waste it on something that's just going to sit in the drawer. It was an Ebay purchase, so if it's incomplete (missing bobbin), I'm thinking he should just ask straight out for a refund.

Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

Claire

Re: Cone winder v ball winder

Postby Claire » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:49 pm

I've no experience of using them - just wanted to make two comments - one is that I'm pretty sure you can buy spare bobbins on ebay, because I seemed to find lots when I was after a ball-winder, and two is that if he can't get a refund, he will probably be able to sell it again no problem - ball winders seem to go like hot cakes!

Hope you get something usable one way or another. What a very enterprising brother to attempt to get "knitting stuff"! I'm completely with you on the thing about not wanting people to waste their money though.
"Time flies like an arrow; but fruit flies like bananas"
I'm LittleRedDragon on Ravelry

Fluzz

Postby Fluzz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:09 pm

A few knitting friends of mine have these and you can still pull the yarn off the top of the cone like you do with a ball winder and use it as a cake.

If you get really frustrated maybe we can arrange a swap, your cone winder for my ball winder? I've wanted one for ages.
My knitting blog / Me on Ravelry
Pet to human ratio in our house: 6:1

Helenhfj
Supporter

Postby Helenhfj » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:22 pm

This one has little teeth-like nodules on the roller; do you think they will pull delicate yarns like silk? If not, I'll be happy to give it a go :smile:
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

Fluzz

Postby Fluzz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm

I suggest tying together scraps of yarns and winding it then seeing what happens.... Worse comes to worse you'll have to hand-ball some yarns.
My knitting blog / Me on Ravelry
Pet to human ratio in our house: 6:1

Return to “Knitting Gadgets”