Four at a time - glove fingers

Ball winders? Stitch Counters? Strange contraptions that look alien but allow you to knit four times as fast? Tell us about them all here.
phantomknitter

Four at a time - glove fingers

Postby phantomknitter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Sorry this is not a gadget, but it made my knitting experience at least four times as fast so I trust it qualifies. :smile:

Last winter I remember having a wild idea :idea: and suggesting to someone that knitting four fingers at a time on magic loop might be workable and make knitting gloves tolerable - even though it was not something I had actually done myself. Now, I have just made gloves for my mom and the simplicity of it all was fantastic. It's so straightforward that four fingers is as quick to complete as one, and having all of them on the needle at once eliminates the fiddly feeling of having just a few stitches on the needle. :D I know it would have taken me A-G-E-S to finish one by one, but this way it just flew by. I hope to have time soon to make a pair for myself as well. I just wanted to share this epiphany because I think I am not the only one ever to have put off casting on some gloves just because the I feel the fingers will be fiddly to make.
BLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEFANTOMKNITTERBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUE

Chris1943
Supporter

Re: Four at a time - glove fingers

Postby Chris1943 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 am

Well go on then how did you do it. I've been sitting here for 2 hours trying to figure out how you did it
Chris 1943 Ravelry and on everything I belong to as I can't remeber log in details

ContinentalCat

Postby ContinentalCat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 am

I think it is a great idea - and yes the idea of all those fiddly bits put me off gloves too. I can't picture it sitting here at the computer, but it's probably one of those tricks you have to try to see it 'click'.

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 am

go on please try and do some photos, i googled it but didn't come up with anything. i've also posted in ravelry techniques i wonder what'll come up.

phantomknitter

Postby phantomknitter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 am

A lot of people knit two socks at a time on magic loop. Expand this idea and imagine four teeny weeny 'socks' at the same time, with just a little butterfly or ball of yarn for each (because of course four balls would get tangled and each finger only needs a little yarn). If you really wanted to go all out you could even do two gloves at a time and that means eight tiny balls, but... :lol:

Another most wonderful thing is that it is still just as easy to try the gloves on as you go, and you can cast off the fingers as you need so they can be tailored to be the perfect length.

ContinentalCat

Postby ContinentalCat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 am

Yeah, I can see that working - might be a little fussy with all the balls but it's only the fingers, wouldn't take ages.

Mmm, perhaps I should do some gloves with fingers...

kaz

Postby kaz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Mmmmm.... thought provoking 8-)
I do socks 2 at a time so I can see how it would work 8-)
www.overthegate.co.uk
8 pairs of socks for 2011, 6 pairs for 2012, 2 pairs for 2013

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm

well this is what ravelry came up with
a man (yes only a man or snow white would do this) knitting 7 pairs of socks at the same time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unJMkY6MyAM

phantomknitter

Postby phantomknitter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Joy wrote: 7 pairs of socks at the same time!

That was quite fascinating! Not very portable for me on the train though... ;) :lol:

Return to “Knitting Gadgets”