Been doing it wrong for years

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
TonyH

Been doing it wrong for years

Postby TonyH » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:48 pm

All the time I can remember, I have thought that “yarn over” and “yarn round needle” were one of the same. I now find (after 55 years) that they are not! :censored:
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Re: Been doing it wrong for years

Postby darknit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm

OK Tony, enlighten us! My guess would be it would be to differentiate between purl (yrn) and knit (yon). Each makes a stitch with a hole doesn't it?

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:49 pm

I’ve always put the yarn round the needle for both knit and purl. I thought it had the same effect. I now know better and it explains the difficulties I have had purling the second row. I’m now considering downgrading my skill level from “Intermediate” to “plank” :bored:

Knitting Gill

Postby Knitting Gill » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:09 am

I might have been doing it wrong too, thinking that yarn over needle meant passing the yarn from the back across the needle to the front and under the needle to the back again and yarn round needle meant the same thing except that the yarn is being moved front to back and back to front again. However, apparently yarn over is American-speak for yarn forward and yarn round needle means passing the yarn front to back or visa versa around the needle.

Gill

Jessica-Jean

Postby Jessica-Jean » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:02 am

This American makes the same motion for all of those - yrn, yo, yon - and it's always produced the small hole intended.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:15 pm

What I’ve found is that when doing a knit stitch, you put the yarn to the front of the work by passing it between the needles and then pass it over the needle to the back. If it is a purl stitch, you pass the yarn to the back of the work, between the needles and then over the needle to the front again. It seems to make a much neater hole, and the return stitch is a lot easier to work.

darknit

Postby darknit » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:00 pm

If my Swiss cheese of a brain can remember that when I have finished the fairisle waistcoat I have on the needles, I will try that Tony.

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”