Blocking Matt

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
sweetpea

Blocking Matt

Postby sweetpea » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Im thinking of buying a Blocking Matt and I don't want to spend alot of money, so any help likes pros or cons, which you think are good or bad I would welcome you thoughts. :help: :help: Ive been using towels on the floor for a few years but thought that I would treat myself if I could find one that I like and that's not too expensive.

Joy

Re: Blocking Matt

Postby Joy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:58 am

Lots of people use those kiddies interlocking foam play mats, which you can often pick up cheaply, I bought a set from Aldi one, years ago and never used them, it was easier to stick with the bath towel on the floor, so I got rid of them when we moved. So in my opinion if you've got an available floor/bed space that doesn't get in anyone's way you can live without a blocking mat.
We've got wooden floor on the boat so no good for sticking pins in. And only one bed so I have to block first thing in the morning and hope it's dry by bedtime.

I would however strongly recommend a decent set of T pins, much stronger than regular dress making pins to hold pieces being blocked and I also have blocking wires, which have been invaluable on a few occasions but not essential. Plus the wires were relatively pricey and I believe you can substitute welding rods.

Im thinking of buying a Blocking Matt

But of course on the other hand, a blocking Matt could be very pleasing on the eye and useful for several other odd jobs around the home, but despite what they like to think I don't think a good man ever comes cheap, you get what you pay for.....

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:56 am

:rofl: :thumbup: Good men are hard to come by but when you find one it's definitely worth the expense!

Agree with Joy except I do love my interlocking foam mat - I found it in a charity shop, it's a floor draughts set so the pieces are black and white. For dark knits (see what I did there) I block on the white, and for lights the dark. I use ordinary dress making pins but those T pins sound useful.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:22 pm

I know a bit of a twist on the "Good men are hard to come by" saying, but that's for another place :censored: :rofl: :devil: Seriously though, I've often thought about getting a couple of those foam mats, but for the type of things I tend to knit, it's probably not worth it for me :)
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:17 pm

;o) Now then Tony, keep it clean!

Little stuff can be blocked on a cloth covering a cork table mat....

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:52 pm

:lol: You’ve just given me an idea. I’ve an old sleeping mat from my festival camping days. It’s still clean and if I double it up, it should work. Thanks darknit :angel:
:cheers: Tony

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:44 am

Thank you so much for all of your comments :rofl: . I have a spare room so I think that I might just treat myself some T Pins :)
Joy wrote: but despite what they like to think I don't think a good man ever comes cheap, you get what you pay for.....

So true :rofl:
darknit wrote::rofl: :thumbup: Good men are hard to come by but when you find one it's definitely worth the expense!

So true again :w00t:
TonyH wrote:I know a bit of a twist on the "Good men are hard to come by" saying, but that's for another place :censored: :rofl: :devil:

What are you like.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Just ordered my T pins :thumbup:

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”