golden retriever owners

For all our furry friends and ad-hoc knitting models.
scotgirl

golden retriever owners

Postby scotgirl » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:56 am

I have a lovely 7yr old golden retriever who is a mud magnet, puddle jumper, anything else to do with dirt kind of dog :smile:
He had to be neutered last year and since then I am struggling with his coat, it is really heavy and matted this year, it doesn't help he likes to roll in dirt etc but even with an undercoat rake and daily brushing he is still matted.
Does anyone have any helpful tips to keep his coat from matting so much. I try to bathe him sparingly but sometimes it can't be helped, would a conditioning or detangling spray help?

sweetpea

Re: golden retriever owners

Postby sweetpea » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Ive not got a dog like yours we have got a staffie, we give her Cod liver oil in her food once a day and it helps with her coat and it's also good for her joints. :dog2:

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Have you had him checked over at the vets to see if there is something else going on? Despite being a total mud magnet our golden needs minimal grooming to keep matt free. Ours is only a year though, I'm wondering if old age or the removal of hormones or possibly disease means yours isn't naturally shedding his coat as before so there's more of it leading to more matts and tangles.

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi scotgirl. Is he losing hair as well as matting? The owners of Golden retrievers we know give them a teaspoon of margarine a day.

scotgirl

Postby scotgirl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks for replies, I don't think diet is a problem with him, he is fed Arden Grange, which is a good dry food and gets oily fish added a couple of times a week. He has always had a heavy coat but this year the undercoat doesn't seem to be coming away as easily as before (you could pinch it out by hand before). I have looked into the neutering aspect a bit more and some owners have mentioned the same problem I am having, increased brushing seems to be the only solution, although a few owners mentioned everything went back to normal after a couple of years.
Dominey - My dog only needed minimal grooming at a year, the good old days :smile: He looked as if he doubled in size when his adult coat came in the first time.
I spent about an hour combing, matt splitting and brushing last night and cut some of the feathering on his tail, so this might help.
Right now I am spending more time and effort on the dogs hair than on my own!

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 am

Interesting about the neutering. I read some research about early neutering leading to increased hip problems compared to leaving until they were 18 months. That's in a couple of weeks, but talking to a failed guide dog owner (they routinely neuter at 9 months) I doubt we would see any change in the one behaviour we'd like to discourage. When I was little ours were all neutered at six months which seems to be fairly standard in the UK, but I don't remember their coats being particularly worse than our dog, but equally I also didn't do most of the grooming.

Asking about getting your dog checked at the vet was because our elderly cat is hyperthyroidic leading to increased hair loss. Goldens are prone to hypothyroidism - does that mean decreased shedding leading to more fur to matt? No experience, so might be barking up the wrong tree entirely and I'm sure if you google there will be common symptoms listed to rule out the idea or encourage you to make a trip to the vet.

Blackdog

Postby Blackdog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Have you tried working some oil into his coat & putting a bit on his food? You can use something like cod liver oil on his food, but not too much or it could give him the runs, or you can use pure coconut oil on both his coat & a little in his food, but make sure that it's completely unprocessed/virgin oil
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Just spoke to my mum and asked her - they do get more matts as they age in her experience. Hopefully your's enjoys grooming more than our does - I think we may need to work on this.....

scotgirl

Postby scotgirl » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Interesting about the hypothyroidism, looked it up but he doesn't have any of the signs thank goodness. I think it's a combination of getting older and the neutering that has changed his coat, the undercoat is not coming away as easily as before. He does get oils in the fish that I add to his food and I don't really want to add any more as he has a delicate tummy!
He was 5.5yrs old when he was neutered because he was getting cysts and it certainly helped him with that, otherwise I wouldn't have neutered really.
He is such a good dog, just very messy :smile: Luckily he likes being groomed.
Dominey - how is your youngster getting on?
This photo explains how his coat gets in a state.
Last edited by scotgirl on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

He's doing really well - very happy, sociable and great with the kids. If anything a little too sociable as he wants to play with every other dog regardless of whether or not they are interested. Now leaves runners alone - they were great fun to chase when he was little esp if we didn't spot them coming as they are so quiet and then suddenly there. Bikes he wasn't interested in until we met OH and the kids one day when walking - he went through a phase of 'it might be someone I know I should go and check them out!' - meeting the others on their bikes was a mistake in retrospect, but luckily he's grown out of that too.

Biggest problem has been this wet winter - I've not been able to walk him as the ground was too slippery by the river, so he was getting shorter (maybe 2 miles) walks on pavements except at the weekends when OH could take him (8-9 miles) so he's had a lot of excess energy. At least its lighter in the evenings now so OH can take him after work, my MS has progressed to the point I can't walk more than a mile on a good day which is somewhat depressing.

This is last summer in the dry on the river bank - you can imagine the state its been in with all the rain......and the resulting colour of the almost white coat....

Return to “Pets' Corner”