Knitting rib - beginners question!

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
jessicamlb

Knitting rib - beginners question!

Postby jessicamlb » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Hello knitters!

I am very very new to knitting and really only know how to knit, purl and cast on/off. I'm trying to knit a hat with some rib around the bottom but my rib never looks right :curse: I think I'm getting myself more and more confused :help:

My question is:

If I knit 1 purl one until the end of the row, my first stitch was a knit and my last stitch is a purl, do I start the next row with a knit stitch or a purl stitch?

I hope that makes sense, thank you in advance! :thumbup:

Knit Naks

Re: Knitting rib - beginners question!

Postby Knit Naks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Largely I am the same, I don't do fancy knitting!!!

When I have done rib stitch I've always started the next row with the opposite stitch, ie if I finished one row with a purl stitch, the first on the next row would be a knit one

Wether that is right or wrong I don't know!!!

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:11 pm

You would start with a Knit 1. To be honest i had to double check online as i did not want to give you the wrong answer.This link might help you
https://mysimpleknitting.com/rib-stitch/

darknit

Postby darknit » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 am

It would of course depend on how many stitches you cast on. Even number of stitches means you always start each row with a knit, (or a purl if you started the previous row with a purl) Odd number of stitches you would knit the opposite stitch from the previous rows start stitch. Hope that makes sense :unsure:

Return to “Technique Questions”