What have I done wrong with this raglan sweater?

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
HarrisTheCat

What have I done wrong with this raglan sweater?

Postby HarrisTheCat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi folks!

I've just reworked a sweater for my son (it hasn't been rewashed yet so you can see where I've been reworking it after frogging it right down). I'd originally given it a wider and looser neckline, but am now wanting to give it a smaller, crew neck type. I dunno - does this look right to you? Do the shoulders slope too much? I can't try it on him because he's 300 miles away!

If it's wrong, should I frog it all back down and redo the front, back and sleeves to decrease the angle of the raglan? Any advice gratefully received!

172 173

darknit

Re: What have I done wrong with this raglan sweater?

Postby darknit » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi there Harris the Cat (love the name btw).

To save myself the trouble, if it were me, I would unknit the neck rib and reknit with smaller needles and more rows - enough to fold it over and double it, being careful to cast off extremely loosely so that I could tack it down. If necessary, adding more stitches on the final rows to make that easier. I thought the raglan looked fine, but it will be interesting to see what others on here think.

Happy knitting - and welcome

Kate

HarrisTheCat

Postby HarrisTheCat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 pm

Kate, thank you so much! It's so good to get another pair of eyes, and now you've been kind enough to comment it's clear that the shoulders are fine - was thinking it should be a straighter line across as it might be with conventional sleeves, and I haven't done a raglan before. Great!

Thank you also for the neckline suggestions - all very welcome and very much appreciated.

Yes - Harris supervises while I clack away on the needles. :shades: :kitty:

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 pm

My initial thought was that the neck before the rib needed to be a bit more curved, and I also agree with darknit in that it would look better doubled over. Do you have any other crew neck patterns that you can look at the schematics.

Return to “Technique Questions”