Please help frustrated

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
Reddy216

Please help frustrated

Postby Reddy216 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:04 pm

I am making a christening gown and one of tge rows is this. K2*yfwdSl1K, K1,psso) twice, k3, (k2tog, yfwd) twice, k5 rep from *to last st k1. Firstly at the beginning which part do I knit twice as no open bracket and I have tried all ways and the stitch count doesnt work out , I have 163 sts . Thanks in advance :thumbup: :knit:

darknit

Re: Please help frustrated

Postby darknit » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:44 pm

OK Reddy, I think I have a handle on this.

The K2 is just the start of the row. That asterisk starts the main thing off. So the instruction starting yfwd and ending k5 is done twice. I have typed it out long hand for you. Start the row with K2, then:

yfwd, sl1 knitwise, psso, yfwd, sl1 knitwise, psso, k3, k2tog, yfwd, k2tog, yfwd, k5. Repeat this until there is just one stitch remaining which you knit.

Hope this helps (and works!)

Kate

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:03 am

Mod action, topic moved into technique questions

Hope Darknits answer helps. Looking forward to seeing the gown when it's finished.

Reddy216

Postby Reddy216 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks darknit but ive done it that way and the pattern (holes) are in the wrong place :angry: ive also tried it doing k2 and up to the first bracket twice then rest of row as it says but then the stitch count doesnt work.

Ive worked it out like this I have 163 sts and from the * to * is 16 sts so makes sence to k2 at beginning and k1 at end making 163 but as I said holes not in correct place :thumbdown:

Wont be a gown at this rate or child will be 14 by the time its done :rofl:
Wouldnt care if it was for me but its an order that needs completing by feb 10th lol

darknit

Postby darknit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Sorry that it's not worked out. You could try putting the pattern number into Ravelry to see if others out there have had problems - or even if they haven't you may be able to contact someone who has successfully knitted it and you could contact them for pointers. Let us know how you get on - even if it doesn't work out.

Kate

Reddy216

Postby Reddy216 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks Kate tried that doesnt find anything, ill let you know if I find out xx

darknit

Postby darknit » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 am

Just had a thought Reddy. (doesn't happen often!) Could it be that your previous row(s) is/are wrong? So that this row is not lining up properly?

Kate

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Is this the first row of your lace section?
Are you using a life line so you can rip back to a known correct row?

Is it practical to write out the whole of the lace pattern so I could knit a sample, if it's a gown this might not be a practical thing to do.
I would do a sample square of lace only using 19 st or if knitting in the round I'd add enough plain knitting either side of my 19 to facilitate easy knitting.

As the pattern clearly has typos in it already ( seen by the missing 1st bracket) is it possible the pattern is at fault.

If your holes are visiblely out of place are you able to nudge and fudge to 're align them?

Is the recipient insistent that you use this particular pattern? Is it a family heirloom or just a nice knitted gown for baby's christening day.

Reddy216

Postby Reddy216 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi

Thanks for responding , I have found out today that the pattern was incorrect and the row in question should have been amended. Im going to carry on and see what it looks like. Ill post a pic when its finished. Thanks again people you are fab :knit: :knit:

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm so glad it was the pattern at fault and not your interpretation. Hopefully you won't be flawed again and it's complete before the babies 14th birthday

Return to “Technique Questions”