Advice about knitting a hood

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
Joy

Advice about knitting a hood

Postby Joy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:27 am

Mod note. Kath, I have moved your post into the appropriate forum

kath

Re: Advice about knitting a hood

Postby kath » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 am

Hi there

I am looking for assistance with a pattern and how to do it. It’s a hood and the instructions say:
Shape back of the hood
Next row K43 turn.
**Cont on these 43 sts
Dec one st at inside edge in every row until 36 st sts rem
Cast off loosely**
Join yarn to remaining sts and knit to end
Rep from ** to**

I have knitted the required length of 16 cms in stocking stitch with 86 sts and then the above are the next instructions.
Do I knit the first 43 sts of the 86 then turn the work and continue on only the 43 sts I have just knitted? What happens to the other 43 do I mark where they finish/start? 

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
Kath

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 am

It looks to me like you will end up with 2 flaps each 7 rows long, effectively with a V shaping in the middle. Is there a further instruction telling you to seam them together.

I'm not sure I've understood this completely, are there any other comments please.

darknit

Postby darknit » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am

"I have knitted the required length of 16 cms in stocking stitch with 86 sts and then the above are the next instructions.
Do I knit the first 43 sts of the 86 then turn the work and continue on only the 43 sts I have just knitted? What happens to the other 43 do I mark where they finish/start?"

Hi Kath. Yes you knit the first 43 sts then stop, turn your work round and knit back. You don't need to mark the start/finish because it should be very obvious when you get back to it on the next row. You may find it useful to put the remaining 43 on a stitch holder. If you read right through the pattern you will find out what happens to the other 43 stitches - I suspect you will have to do a similar shaping/decreasing on them. I hope that helps and never hesitate to ask if you get stuck again - we love to help.

Kate

Return to “Technique Questions”