Help with Rico pattern, shaping in half brioche

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
alison

Help with Rico pattern, shaping in half brioche

Postby alison » Mon May 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi,
Im new to the forum and also a fairly newbie knitter. Has anyone made Rico Knitting Idea Compact 502? Its a vest jumper top in half brioche. Ive got the half brioche bit and knitted all the way up the back until it says "shape the yolk". I just cannot get this bit to work. Ive tried about 6 times and pulled it out and feel like pulling my hair out! I really dont want to give up. It sin a lovely alpaca blend chunky wool and Ive spent a long time learning this stitch. Please can anyone help?!
Thank you

darknit

Re: Help with Rico pattern, shaping in half brioche

Postby darknit » Mon May 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Any chance you could type in the instruction for the decreases (or the shape the yoke bit) as they appear on the pattern? I've done brioche stitch but not half brioche but should be able to give you a steer....

alison

Postby alison » Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi dark knit, thank you for replying.

Well, the half brioche stitch in this pattern is as follows:

row x: K1, sl1p wyif, yo, k1, rep from to last 2 sts, sl1p wyif, yo, k1.

row y: k1, k2tog (yo and 1 st), p1, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2tog (yo and 1 st), k1

You repeat these 2 rows so its a half brioche pattern with edge stitches. The chunky ribbed side looks from the photo to be the right side.

The next bit is what I cant get to work for me:

shape yoke:

row 1: patt 8, place a marker, patt 5, patt2tog, patt to last 15 stitches, k2togtbl, patt 5, place a marker, patt to end (89 stitches)

row 2: patt to behind first marker, m1, patt to next marker, m1, patt to end (91 stitches)

Rep rows 1-2 (inc and dec) 24 times, working inc stitches into the pattern.

The problem I have is that in row 1 the patt2 tog comes where you are doing a slp1p- do you just slp1p the next stitch too so the yarn in front goes across 2 stitches? and then later you end up with 2 groups of stitches that have been created on the previous round as yo k1. you would normally be k2tog on these so to keep the pattern you end up doing k2tog twice in a row.

Thank you

darknit

Postby darknit » Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Alison

I have had a go at knitting the half brioche and have grasped it. On brioche stitch the yarn over and the knit stitch are counted as one stitch(often referred to as BRK) - this is the same for half brioche, therefore you would seem to have to knit a knit stitch, a yarn over and a purl stitch to count as patt2tog. Then you end up with two knit stitches together instead of a purl + a knit so I am at a loss as to how you should work this and keep the rib appearance. Normally in brioche stitch you decrease in threes to obviate this problem ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41nLiYPrTo) I am not a lot of help here I'm afraid, perhaps the best advice I can give is to get help from your lys - especially if you bought your yarn and pattern from them. Most folk are very happy to help. It is possible someone on this forum will jump in and give more help than I can.

PS. I think some asterisks are missing from the instructions - if you were to edit your post it might make it a little easier to understand.

Return to “Technique Questions”