Jumper help

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
inklehippy

Jumper help

Postby inklehippy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:39 am

Hey everyone :), (very) long time no post!

I'm trying to knit a jumper, but because the pattern's an English version of a Norwegian one, there are quite a few mistakes to negotiate. I'm just about at the stage where you attach the arms, and I'm quite confused. This is also the first jumper I've knitted since I was about 14, so it might be more obvious to people who are more experienced than me. Here's the jumper so far:

Image2017-10-11_11-20-45

Annoyingly in places the pattern says 'cast of' and 'cast on' where it clearly means inc and dec. But I don't know whether for this section it actually means 'cast off' rather than decrease? Here's the last row of the body before attaching the arms:

'Insert a marker each side (67) sts for front and back and cast off 3 sts each side of the marker for the sleeves. Leave the body piece and continue with the sleeves'...

And for the last row of the sleeve:

'Cast off 3 sts each side of the marker and make another sleeve'...

And then to attach the sleeves:

'Insert the sleeves on the circular needle where on the body, you cast off sts for the sleeves = approx 210 [it's actually 211!] sts in total. Insert 4 markers in each corner before and after the sleeves for the raglan decrease.

So am I just decreasing in each of these instances, and then inserting the sleeves onto the circular needles holding the body? Or am I actually casting off, and won't that leave a hole?

Very, very annoyingly, the picture included with the pattern does not show the actual jumper as worked up according to the pattern, so it's not much help either!
((Formerly Gwenhwyfar :) ))

darknit

Re: Jumper help

Postby darknit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm pretty sure you need to follow the pattern as it is written - you will find when you come to sew it up it will all come together satisfactorily. There shouldn't be any holes. That cast off instruction is correct for making the underarm bit. It's really pretty, just right for the ski slope!

Is it a Drops pattern?

inklehippy

Re: Jumper help

Postby inklehippy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks Darknit, I think you're right!

I found the pattern on Ravelry, but it's only available if you buy the yarn from the online shop that sells it. Fortunately it's a nice yarn, and quite reasonably priced too :)
http://scandinavianknittingdesign.com/c ... p2000.html
((Formerly Gwenhwyfar :) ))

Return to “Technique Questions”