How to use charts

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
phantomknitter

Re: How to use charts

Postby phantomknitter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:56 pm

I must point out that the example of two plain rows is stocking stitch and one row plain one row dots is garter. A chart always shows the right side of the work, bu if you are knitting flat you are of course working every other row from the reverse so have to reverse the symbols in your head. The key should explain this, but it is so universal it may not be mentioned.
BLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEFANTOMKNITTERBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUE

Blackdog

Postby Blackdog » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:08 pm

If you are interested in either putting written instructions into chart format, or you want to design your own charts, there's a free chart writing programme here

I use it in Excel to get the grid
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

knittingnut

Postby knittingnut » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:36 am

Ok all you chart whizzes. Can anyone help me with this one. Just as i think i've got charts all figured out *sigh*

the pattern is here http://www.pillowstone.co.uk/lucy/patte ... ofblue.pdf

I managed my first ever tubular cast on, in the round no less!

Have an inch of twisted rib and gaily started on Chart A. Knit one repeat to discover i was then 2 sts short for the next repeat. (on the first row)

I'm reading the first row as:

Yarn over, knit through back loop, purl, ktbl, purl, k2tog tbl, k4tbl.

What am I missing? :?

Thank you all!

Helenhfj
Supporter

Postby Helenhfj » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:36 am

That's how I read it too. I can only suggest that you check your YOs and your K2togs; that's usually where I manage to lose a stitch. I find I can often K3tog when using a fine yarn by mistake, when I'm not concentrating.
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

knittingnut

Postby knittingnut » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Checked them all as i took it back to the start. All stitches present and correct :?

Glad it's not just me though!

theweebarrell

Postby theweebarrell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:06 pm

:D Wow thanks for this i have always wanted to try and use a chart but they always confused me .

Minxy
Supporter

Postby Minxy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Can I ask a question about following a chart when knitting in the round? I'm about to start Cherie Amour and it's knit entirely on circs. I presume I still start the chart at the bottom right hand corner but do I then read every row right to left as I'm not flipping the work?
http://minxymakes.blogspot.com/

ContinentalCat

Postby ContinentalCat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:42 am

Yes, for charts in the round - at least that's how I know them - you start at the bottom right and go 'up' by starting at the right on all the other rows, too. Like you would with a chart for the cuff of a sock.

KnittyNorah

Postby KnittyNorah » Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm

ContinentalCat wrote:Vonnie's question about blank squares on a chart inspired me to put up a few tips. Hopefully this will be useful to everyone who wants to use a chart, and please add your own tips and tricks!

A few basics:

Thanks for this CC. I need all the help I can get. I can manage charts where colours are concerned if there are only 2 colours (I blow things up on the photo-copier and get out the crayons) but I really struggle with stitch pattern charts. I'm dyscalculic and have real difficulty transferring what I see on a chart to my knitting. (Dyscalculics tend to have problems with maps and other forms of chart too. To say nothing of the old left and right question - never let me navigate if you're driving!)

I can follow the most involved pettern where the instructions are given in words but I have to pass up when it comes to the simplest of charts. Thankfully "The Knitter" has started putting some of it's patterns in both formats but not all magazines do this and I miss out on a lot.

There are a lot of us about. Einstein was dyscalculic, apparently, so it shows we aren't necessarily thick as well as dyscalculic :smile: !

phoen

Postby phoen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:14 am

This is a very helpful resume, Continental Cat. Thank you
192.168.l.2

Return to “Technique Questions”