Socks for Narrow Feet - How many stitches is too little

Are you totally addicted to DPNS? Dying to try Magic Loop? Victim of the dreaded second sock syndrome? Or do you just want to give it a go?
Philson52

Socks for Narrow Feet - How many stitches is too little

Postby Philson52 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been knitting socks for gifts and apparently everyone in the world has larger feet than me! This pair was for me and I swear as I was trying them on (I knit toe up) this fit. So since I had a false sense of security I finished the pair. Beautiful socks but much too big.

Now my question is: I use ML and cast on 56 stitches, 28 each needle. I use a 00 (US) needle and Paton's sock yarn. Now when I try them on, they seem to be over 12 stitches too large at my widest foot measurement (8"). I get 11 stitches to an inch. I have done the math over and over and I'm as confused as ever. How many stitches should I cast on and still account for the negative ease.

After I tried on these socks it looks like I should decrease my stitches by 6 on each needle? 22 stitches? That sounds so small.

I'm hoping someone could help me. It's frustrating to knit socks for everyone else and not a pair for me.

Thank you all very much.

This is my first post in this wonderful forum. Everyone is so nice and polite. I live in Pennsylvania, USA.

Phyllis

sweetpea

Re: Socks for Narrow Feet - How many stitches is too little

Postby sweetpea » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum :hug: . I'm afraid that ive never knitted any socks so I cant help but I know there are are few members on here that hopefully should be able to help you

darknit

Postby darknit » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi there Philson

How many needles are you knitting these socks on? Just 2? It's quite unusual to knit socks on 2 needles. What pattern are you using? Sorry but as an Anglo I don't understand ML.

Hope we can help you!

Kate

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Joy

Postby Joy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm presuming ML is magic loop.
I make socks with 2 mm needles magic loop. I usually go with 56 st and my feet are UK4/37 and I've just measures the circumference of my arch, which is 9.5 inches.
I wonder if the style of heel is what's causing you problems. I like a shadow wrap heel rather than a heel flap.

You're right 44st does sound too few but why don't you make a pair with 44 st and see how they fit. It really doesnt matter what other people wear, what fits you is the important thing.

Philson52

Postby Philson52 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi -

My apologies, I should have said Magic Loop.

I should have at least tried the one on more than once, but I got too involved with a marathon of MidSomer Murders and since I was doing two at a time, I just kept going.

When I tried them on about 10 rows into the toe, they were good. Now that I tried them on again, I can see it's loose going forward. My arch is 8.5".

I use the instructions from Elizzza. I cast on my stitches, increase to 28; knit to the heel (german short row- 2 of them), then knit the 28 to the ribbing. It's a very simple sock and they fit everyone else. I can't imagine having to go round and round with 22! What a pain. I'm almost ready to just use worsted yarn and make house socks for myself.

It can't be possible to use something smaller than a 00 (9.0mm) is there? These are so sharp to begin with. Could it be I should use a different brand of yarn?

I am going to start a sock with 44 stitches and I will keep you updated. Thank you all so much.

darknit

Postby darknit » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Sorry I didn't click to ML meaning magic loop - I'm really old-fashioned and can only knit socks on three needles! Glad Joy sorted you out.

Return to “Sock Knitting”