Lets Knit - useless

What mags are must haves? Have you been inspired by a particular article? Post your rants and raves about magazines here.
darknit

Re: Lets Knit - useless

Postby darknit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:53 pm

I bought a copy of Knitting Traditions when I was in the US two years ago and absolutely loved it. Lots of patterns and interesting articles and stories, why can't British magazine publishers do something similar? I've never seen it for sale over here, but would snap it up if it were. It's published by Interweave.

CezzaW

Postby CezzaW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:16 pm

I was subscribing to simply knitting, I was before on lets knit but the patterns were getting more and more errrrrrr rubbish ! so I swapped, I preferred the simply knitting as there were some nice bits and pieces for little ones but I've started to get disheartened with it so now I've had a change and I'm having a cake decorating one for a while :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Similiar)

I may still buy the odd one or two but this is usually when we go away so I've got something to look at

Brambleberry

Postby Brambleberry » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:39 pm

I think with knitting magazines, they need to state the level they are pitching their mags at. It sounds like they are pitching at absolute beginners. Of course often experience knitters like the idea of knitting magazines that give new tips…though I have always found the French are good at giving new tips in their knitting patterns usually at the beginning or end. i know Phildar have good video clips too.

mauramac

Postby mauramac » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Just an update to say my experience with Lets Knit got much worse.
They refused to let me cancel my subscription unless I returned the free gift that came with the first issue I had received in its original packaging. I had the gift but not the packaging which was thrown away. I argued with them over this for a couple of weeks in several emails but of course it got me nowhere due to the small print!
I could have cancelled the DD but they more or less said they would consider this a breach of contract and that if they pressed me for the rest of the payment and I refused then the outstanding money would remain on my "credit rating" :evil:

I asked them to make a record of my cancellation and requested they send my comments to Head Office for their records which they agreed to do.
Blow me down if they didn't then take another years subscription from my bank account after the present one expired. My own stupid fault as I assumed it would naturally run out but no - according to their accounts office you have to cancel the DD yourself or it just keeps rolling. They also said they couldn't refund me the full amount as a magazine had already been reserved for me and was in the post. I went totally nuts at this point and threatened to go to Trading Standards, Ombudsmen....you name it I threw it all at them. My blood pressure must have rocketed at this point and in the end they got a manager to speak to me who very 'graciously' agreed to give me a full refund ......but that it would take 6 weeks as they had to arrange a cheque payment :twisted:

Be very aware of Lets Knit and all the publications from their parent company - I think their whole operation stinks :(

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:45 am

oh my I think they are being dishonest as they took your money from your bank and due to the new anti fraud laws they are supposed to refund your bank account in the same manner not send you a cheque.

Also making you wait is also illegal they can simply issuse a refund straight to your bank there and then.

Disgusting so called 'Customer Service'

divadoll_1

Postby divadoll_1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:22 am

I would suggest you contact your bank as mine (Natwest) is great at taking the money back straight away and getting you to sort it out afterwards. I had trouble with one of these face cream wonder companies that gave you a trial for £5 but then went to charge £60 a month thereafter even though I cancelled. My bank just gave me back the money no questions and barred them from taking anything more from my account.

mauramac

Postby mauramac » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 am

I must have been brain dead at the time as I should have done all of that but it just didn't occur to me - and I'm normally very good at all that sort of thing.
All done and dusted now (how annoying having to go to bank to pay in cheque as well) but HUGE lesson learned.

Alison h

Postby Alison h » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:39 am

I had a gift subscription to Lets Kit for a couple of years, I think 2009/2010.
When the first subscription ended, my Mom renewed it, but was not even offered the free gift for new subscriptions, which was something I rather wanted.

I phoned them and argued, but gave up after they promised to call me back and did not. I did not want to fuss, as it was my Mom who had bought me the subscription.

I did not renew aftr the second year had run out. (My Mom had returned to SOuth Africa by this time). Oh, when my subscription was running out, I was called by customer services who offered me a free binder for renewing. I asked if I could have the free gift fot a new subscription, but would have had to take out a debit order. My questions as to how this worked were only anwered vaguely. After reading the experiences of others, I am glad I didn't renew.

Not only did I have a rather bad taste in my mouth, but I noticed the patterns were not that great, with barely any content other than the patterns and ads.

Oh, and the free gift for the first subscription, a cloth knitiing bag? The zip broke after almost no use.

I do sometimes buy a copy now, but am always disappointed.
Still not sure what I want to be when I grow up

ContinentalCat

Postby ContinentalCat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:27 am

Sorry to hear you've received such bad 'service' - you'd think a company would understand that this tends to be what people remember more than good experiences!

Jow

Postby Jow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Ah I'm so glad I read this thread. I was sort of considering getting myself a cheap subscription- Lets Knit had 3 issues for £6 then a normal price, by which time I would have cancelled, but don't think I'll risk it if its rubbish AND if its a big hassle. Knit Today has 5 issues for a fiver which seems good but the pictures of people wearing knitted things are most uninspiring! They look like very young models who are not comfortable or cosy at all in the knitted items. I know this is the way with modelling and magazines, but it seems like no effort has been made (unlike the lovely Twist) and its annoying!
So, no good UK magazine experience? I was after a cheap sub offer really, but to be honest I knew that really the gifts would be not useful or good, and that the patterns wouldn't be amazing either, but I might have kidded myself otherwise if I hadn't seen his thread! I just like the printed word. Spending the money on yarn either and time on Ravelry instead is sound advice.
jowgoat on Rav

Return to “Knitting Magazines”