Substituting yarn

General questions about meterage and types
Stray lady

Substituting yarn

Postby Stray lady » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum. I joined specially to try and get help to questions like this one. " Can I substitute chunky yarn for toddler aran and if so how do I do it? " The ball of yarn says use 6mm needles my pattern says use 5mm for the toddler Aran. :)

darknit

Re: Substituting yarn

Postby darknit » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:25 pm

It would be possible if you jiggle about with the sizing. First of all you need to knit a test swatch - maybe more than one as you need to find out what your personal knitting makes the stitch number/row come out to. Knit the test swatch in the needle size suggested by the ball band first and then note if the knitted fabric looks and feels as you would want it. If yes, then measure the stitch/row to 10 cm. If it feels or looks too slack or too tight, change needles accordingly. I always go by the fabric feel and look rather than what is dictated by the pattern. When you knit with aran instead of chunky you will need more stitches/rows than the pattern says, so it may be possible to go up a size (or two) but from experience it's usually a question of arithmetic. Find the finished measurements on the "chunky" pattern and then calculate the number of stitches you need to make the width in aran. Ditto for rows.

ContinentalCat

Re: Substituting yarn

Postby ContinentalCat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Hello and welcome! I've moved the topic to Yarn Queries.

I agree with Darknit, start with a swatch/tension square. A bit boring to knit, but certainly worth it.

Return to “Yarn Queries”